NASBE’s State Board Insight database tracks all topics considered by state boards of education each month. By searching the database, you can find out how different boards are contributing to all aspects of education in their states and see trends in issues they consider. State Board Insight will be updated monthly with new content from state boards’ meetings, and will host up-to-date analysis of trending topics.
All meeting minutes and agendas made publicly accessible by state boards by the end of each month are included in the database update for that month. Meeting materials posted after that time are added to the database in the months that follow.
The database is focused on analysis of information from full board of education (or of elementary and secondary education) meetings. While committee meetings are not included, the database does include information presented from committees to the full board during regular full board meetings.
The database does not include:
- Information presented as public comment.
- Any board meeting content not mentioned in materials made publicly available on the state board’s website.
- Board-related business items (such as agenda approval, board chair elections, and approval of future meeting dates).
- Updates or actions concerning the review and/or employment of individual school or state-level education employees, excluding the state education chief.
- Appointments to committees.
- Items of recognition that are not accompanied by informational content such as a best-practices presentation.
To learn more about the data you see on the site, click here for information about the different topic categories.
The information found in State Board Insight is compiled from state board of education agendas and meeting minutes. Every effort is made to ensure it reflects the most up-to-date and accurate information available. Sometimes, though, we get it wrong. If errors or inaccurate information are discovered, or if you have particular questions about the data, please contact NASBE Research Associate Sarah-Jane Lorenzo. When reporting a correction to the site, please include a link to the state board meeting minutes or materials that reflect the information you would like us to update or include.
We want our site to meet your needs! Tell us what you think of State Board Insight by taking our short survey.
If you are a member of the media, please direct questions and interview requests to NASBE Communications Director Renée Rybak Lang.